The International Day of Happiness is celebrated annually on March 20 as a way to “recognize the importance of happiness in the lives of people around the world.” The theme in 2021 for this observed celebration is “Happiness for All Forever.”
Consider these Sixteen steps for living a happy life starting right now. Read the article for an explanation of how these steps are proven to make your life more productive, successful, and happy.
1. Be committed.
2. Remember people care about you, not your success.
3. Be grateful every day. Gratefulness is linked to feeling better about your life, more enthusiasm, and the willingness to help others. Take time every day to journal or list grateful notes every day.
4. Take action.
5. Know money doesn’t buy happiness, although it can decrease stress and anxiety when your needs are met.
6. Don’t take rejection personally.
7. Have a backup plan.
8. Improve your social skills.
9. Travel, even if it's just to the next town over.
10. Don’t multitask.
11. Embrace a growth mindset – a way of thinking that thrives on challenges and views failures as growth and opportunity to strengthen abilities, rather than a result of unintelligence.
12. Balance work and life.
13. Don’t hold grudges.
14. Be Present in the moments.
15. Take care of yourself, then help others.
There are seven remarkable powerful keys to happiness and success (according to science). To maintain happiness and success, remember to find happiness first, then focus on completing the goal second; there is importance behind refraining from goal-oriented happiness. Goal-oriented happiness is thinking that happiness is achieved after completing a goal, rather than finding joy throughout the process or journey. Seppala’s seven science-based ways to rediscover joy and grow more successful –
Recommended ways on how to be happy: 25 habits to add to your routine; practice these daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly habits by taking time to discover what does and doesn’t work for you.
Daily Habits – smile, exercise, get plenty of rest, eat with mood in mind, be grateful, give a compliment, breathe deeply, acknowledge the unhappy moments, keep a journal, face stress head on.
Weekly Habits – declutter, see friends, plan your week, ditch your phone, get into nature, explore meditation, consider counseling, find a self-care ritual.
Monthly Habits – give back, take yourself out, create a thought list.
Yearly Habits – take time to reflect, reevaluate goals, take care of your body, let go of grudges.
This one is for the college students; 18 things you need to do to be happy in college!
Sometimes there is difficulty to balancing what’s best for children with what makes them happy, but know that what’s best and what makes them happy isn’t mutually exclusive. Here’s how to raise happy kids: 10 steps backed by science; read the article for an explanation of each step. Research shows that happier kids are more likely to turn into successful, accomplished adults.
The International Day of Happiness lists 10 steps to global happiness for 2021:
What makes you happy? | International Day of Happiness video, this video is a compilation of people around the world saying what makes them happy.
The surprising science of happiness by Dan Gilbert TED Talk